The first public school classes were held in Mandan's first City Hall which was located in the 200 block of Anhurst Avenue (today's First Avenue NW).
The first schoolhouse was constructed in the Fall 1881 on the southeast corner of Wright Avenue (today's First Avenue NE) and Second Street NE. Completed in 1882, the cost of the building was over $4000 (estimate $90,000 in 2010 dollars). Built "in the approved modern style, is of two stories with a belfry and bell, and has large and commodious hall and stairway. The interior is supplied with the best style of desks and blackboards."
The school was initially divided into two grades and in 1883 both grades were full.
Exerpt from 1883 Stoner Birdseye View of Mandan
Click to Enlarge
First school board directors were Daniel Flynn, Dr. Henry W. Coe, treasurer, and Frank J. Mead. They approved a 26x30 foot addition was built at a cost of $2000 with $1600 in furniture.
By 1884, the school was serving 60 pupils and the course of study covered six years. In 1887, with the city's population nearing the 2,500 mark, the school board began renting the Vinton Building in the City's Third Ward as an additional school.
Professor Alexander Strahan was principal for both schools in 1888.
The second schoolhouse was opened on the west side of town in 1890 near Mitchell Avenue (today's Eighth Avenue NW) and Main Street and was referred to as the West End School. The building was a two room, two story building converted from a house. Miss Margaret Bowers (later to become Mrs. George Bingenheimer) was primary teacher and principal and taught in the room on the ground floor. She taught first and second grades, had about 25 pupils and received $55 a month in salary. The other teacher, Miss Ida Ellison taught the third, fourth and fifth grades.
Citywide, all sixth graders would attend classes in the main school building near St. Joseph's Catholic Church and would hence forth be referred to as the East End School.
Mandan Central School c. 1911
In 1899, the Mandan Board of Education presided by C. E. Draper with members T. A. Cummins, J. H. McGillic, H. H. Harmon and H. D. Stevenson set to the voters a bill to approve construction of a $15,000 ($410,000 in 2013$) three-story brick "Central School" to house the junior and senior high students as well as provide a grade school for west part of the city.
<Click to Enlarge>
Over the years, morel buildings were added to the site. The first addition occurred in 1911 with the addition of new high school on the west edge of the lot. High school classes were transferred to a larger high school building built infront of the "Central School" in 1934 and the eastside building became the junior high school.
1934 New High School (Note Central School in back)
1912 High School Addition (Note Central School to Left/West)
A bell for the Central School was purchased by the school's alumni from a forge in Northfield, Michigan. The massive 1380-pound solid bronze bell was installed in the bell copula in 1914.
The bell remained in the "Central School" until 1966 when that building was demolished upon completion of the current Mandan Senior High School building. The three-story eastside brick building became a grade school after relinquishing its role as Junior High School to the 1934 era former Senior High building. In June 1966, the bell was relocated to a special pedestal outside in its front plaza, where it remains today.
In April 1909, the East End school house was moved by William Huff to "Dogtown" and placed on the curve in the road leading to the Heart River Bridge to serve the city south of the railroad yard.
The School Board decided to erect a replacement. In the interim classes for the students was held, again, at City Hall. In late February 1910, the School Board members instructed local architect C. A. Bloom to prepare plans for a new two-story and basement school house to be erected in the east end of town. The school was to be of brick and tol contain four recitation rooms and an office. Early estimates, incuding plumbing and heating apparatus, expected the cost to top $15,000 ($347,000 in 2010 dollars).
In April 1912, the city celebrated the opening of a new school in the First Ward named after General George Custer.
The dedication ceremony included speeches by Judge James Hanley, Sr. summarizing key points in Custer's life and States Attorney William Langer who made his short address in German intended for the parents.
The Syndicate School was constructed in 1922 in southwest Mandan, referring to that area of town developed under the direction of the "Boston Syndicate," a group of East Coast investors including Henry Endicott. The three story (half basement and two stories) brick building was common layout of the time. A wing with additional classrooms was added in 1964. The school was renamed "Mary Stark Elementary School" in 1960 after the death of a long time and beloved teacher. The original structure was razed and replaced with a more modern facility in 1970, essentially as it stands today.
The MHSoc's museum and office is located at 3102 37th St; PO Box 1001; Mandan, ND 58554 Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave message at (701) 663-5200