Andrew E. Thorberg was born in Ronberg, Norway on May 20, 1857 to a family which included two brothers and three sisters. The family immigrated to America, but Andrew came alone to Davenport, Iowa in 1876. He worked and attended school for a year to become acquainted with the English language. In 1878 he struck out with the West Coast in mind, but he came to Dakota Territory with the survey crew working for the Northern Pacific Railroad platting the new town of Mandan.
The Missouri Slope region satisfied his desires, and he remained here once the survey crew finished its work. Initially he made his living as a trapper during which he became well acquainted with the countryside and its resources. Thorberg's outdoor life gave him ample opportunities to observe the soil and natural resources of the region and formed the foundation for his life values.
About 1880, he accepted a position as clerk in the store of Hanover and Barth Clothiers. He continued to work there until 1887 when he accepted a position in the Granberry and Cummins, Co. store. Shortly afterward, Mr. Granberry died and Thorberg bought a working interest in the store, which was subsequently renamed Cummins and Thorberg.
1908 RPPC Photo Mandan Main St
In 1890, under President Harrison, Mr. Thorberg was appointed postmaster of Mandan which office he held until 1894, when he resigned because of other pressing duties. In 1914, Mr. Thorberg retired from active business. He continued, however, to invest heavily in the community, opening the Thorberg Tile Company at Old Fort Lincoln flats in 1917. The company specialized in building tile, but also produced rough clay products and high-grade building brick.
He married Ida Karoline Johnson born March 1, 1864 in Drogsta Sodermanland Sweden to Jonas Eric and Clara Karoline (Carlson) Anderson. After arriving in Mandan, he conducted experimental work in his garden with fruits and trees. This passion for botany fueled his determination to lobby for the establishment of a Federal dry land Agricultural Experiment Station in the area.
He became clerk in the clothing firm of Cummins and Tubbs and in 1891 became a partner in the firm which operated for many many years under the name of Cummins, Thorberg and Theis. He also served as postmaster from 1890 to 1894. He disposed of his store stock in 1916 and invested in farm lands, bought from Peter Hendrickson (a cousin), Leanard Johnson and his son Alfred Johnson.
Thorberg was one of the founders of the Morton County Fair Association. In 1895 and in 1893 was in charge of an Indian exhibit at the Chicago World's Fair. He represented the city at Congressional hearings in Washington, D.C. to attempt to get an Indian School located in Mandan.
Mr. Thorberg always got along well with the Indians, coming in contact with them often in his business, he learned to talk their language. He was well acquained with Sitting Bull and was one of the party who accompanied him to the World's Fair. He was active in organizing the first commercial club of mandan which was known as the Mandan Business Men's Association, also helped established the Mandan Fair Grounds and was one of the first to try to interest the United States Government in establishing an experiment station at Mandan. Although active in politics he did not care to public offices and with the exception of the four years he was postmaster, he never held a political office. He took a lively interest in political campaigns always anxious that the best man represent Mandan in Congress.
Andrew and Ida Thorberg were the parents of eight children: Eric A. born in Mandan in 1887: Clara Higgins, born in Mandan in 1889; George E. born in Mandan in 1890; Harry S. born in Mandan in 1892; Lilly Kleinschmitt born in Mandan in 1894; Ida Diebert born in Mandan in 1897; Clifford born in Mandan 1899; Robert V. born in Mandan in 1905.
Andrew Thorberg died on February 24, 1921. He is buried beside his wife in Mandan's Union Cemetery.
This biography is based largely on the entry for Mr. Thorberg in the Morton County Roots published in 1976 by the Morton County Historical Society.
The MHSoc's museum and office is located at 3102 37th St; PO Box 1001; Mandan, ND 58554 Contact us at email@example.com or leave message at (701) 663-5200